PD Dr. Falko Ziebert
Institute of Physics
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics
Albert-Ludwigs-University of Freiburg
79104 Freiburg, Germany
Tel.: +49 761 203 97779
Fax: +49 761 203 5855
Diploma in physics, Universität des Saarlandes, Germany, with Prof. Walter Zimmermann
PhD in physics, Universität Bayreuth, Germany, with Prof. Walter Zimmermann
postdoc, Argonne National Lab, U.S., with Dr. Igor Aranson
postdoc, ESPCI, France, with Dr. Elie Raphaël and Dr. David Lacoste
joint postdoc, Experimental Polymer Physics, University of Freiburg and
Theory and Simulation of Polymers group, Institut Charles Sadron, Strasbourg, France
DFG Eigene Stelle (PI grant), Experimental Polymer Physics, University of Freiburg
|2014||habilitation, University of Freiburg|
- Benjamin Winkler, M. Sc., Institute of Physics, Albert-Ludwig-University of Freiburg
- Christian König, B. Sc., Theoretical Physics I, Bayreuth University
- Mirko Ruppert, B. Sc., Theoretical Physics I, Bayreuth University
- Louis Mores, Institute of Physics, Albert-Ludwig-University of Freiburg
research interests: theory of soft and/or biological matter
- nonlinear physics, non-equilibrium physics, soft matter physics, biophysics
- pattern formation, instabilities and hydrodynamics, liquid crystals
- cytoskeletal dynamics and structure - filaments, motors, crosslinks; self-assembly
- cell motility, cell adhesion, collective effects in cells and bacteria
- confined polymer systems, dewetting, adhesion, polymer interfaces
- polymer films and biological membranes in external fields, electrostatic and electrokinetic effects
- supercooled and glassy systems
48. M. Chowdhury, S. Al-Akhrass, F. Ziebert and G. Reiter, Relaxing non-equilibrated polymers in thin films at temperatures slightly above the glass transition, to appear in J. Polym. Sci. B (2017).
47. M. Chowdhury, X. Sheng, F. Ziebert, A. C.-M. Yang, A. Sepe, U. Steiner and G. Reiter, Intrinsic stresses in thin glassy polymer films revealed by crack formation, Macromolecules 49, 9060 (2016).
46. J. Baschnagel, H. Meyer, J. Wittmer, I. Kulic, H. Mohrbach, F. Ziebert, N.-K. Lee, G.-M. Nam, A. Johner, Semiflexible Chains at Surfaces: Worm-Like Chains and beyond, Polymers 8, 286 (2016).
45. F. Ziebert and I. S. Aranson, Computational approaches to substrate-based cell motility, npj Computational Materials 2, 16019 (2016).
44. F. Ziebert and I. S. Aranson, Editorial to the Special Issue 'Nonlinear Models in Molecular and Cell Biology', Physica D 318-319, 1 (2016).
43. P. Gosselin, H. Mohrbach, I. M. Kulic and F. Ziebert, On complex, curved trajectories in microtubule gliding, Physica D 318-319, 105 (2016).
42. B. Winkler, I. S. Aranson and F. Ziebert, Membrane tension feedback on shape and motility of eukaryotic cells, Physica D 318-319, 26 (2016).
41. F. Ziebert, J. Löber, and I. S. Aranson, Macroscopic model of substrate-based cell motility, in I. S. Aranson, Ed.: Physical Models of Cell Moility, Springer, Biological and Medical Physics, Biomedical Engineering (DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-24448-8_1) 2016.
40. F. Ziebert, H. Mohrbach and I. M. Kulic, A nonequilibrium power balance relation for analyzing dissipative filament dynamics, Eur. Phys. J. E 38, 129 (2015).
39. B. Kaoui, A. Guckenberger, A. Krekhov, F. Ziebert and W. Zimmermann, Emergence of Stable Branched Patterns in Anisotropic Inhomogeneous Systems, New J. Phys. 17, 103015 (2015).
38. F. Ziebert, H. Mohrbach and I. M. Kulic, Why Microtubules run in Circles - Mechanical Hysteresis of the Tubulin Lattice, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 148101 (2015).
37. J. Löber, F. Ziebert and I. S. Aranson, Collisions of deformable cells lead to collective migration, Sci. Rep. 5, 9172 (2015).
36. J. Helfferich, K. Vollmayr-Lee, F. Ziebert, H. Meyer and J. Baschnagel, Glass formers display universal non-equilibrium dynamics on the level of single-particle jumps, EPL 109, 36004 (2015).
35. I. S. Aranson, J. Löber and F. Ziebert, Phase-field description of substrate-based motility of eukaryotic cells. In A. Mikhailov and G. Ertl, editors: Engineering of Chemical Complexity II, World Scientific Lecture Notes in Complex Systems, Singapore, 2014, pp. 93-104.
34. F. Ziebert and I. S. Aranson, Reply to comment by Baohua Ji, Eur. Phys. J. ST 223, 1407 (2014).
33. F. Ziebert and I. S. Aranson, Comment on Falcke et al., Polymerization, bending, tension: What happens at the leading edge of motile cells?, Eur. Phys. J. ST 223, 1431 (2014).
32. F. Ziebert and I. S. Aranson, Modular approach for modeling cell motility, Eur. Phys. J. ST 223, 1265 (2014).
31. J. Helfferich, F. Ziebert, S. Frey, H. Meyer, J. Farago, A. Blumen and J. Baschnagel, Continuous-Time Random Walk Approach to supercooled liquids: II. Mean-Square Displacements in polymer melts, Phys. Rev. E 89, 042604 (2014).
30. J. Helfferich, F. Ziebert, S. Frey, H. Meyer, J. Farago, A. Blumen and J. Baschnagel, Continuous-Time Random Walk Approach to supercooled liquids: I. Different definitions of particle jumps and their consequence, Phys. Rev. E 89, 042603 (2014).
29. J. Löber, F. Ziebert and I. S. Aranson, Modeling crawling cell movement on soft engineered substrates, Soft Matt. 10, 1365 (2014).
28. F. Closa, E. Raphael and F. Ziebert, Electro-hydrodynamic instability of stressed viscoelastic polymer films, Eur. Phys. J. E 36, 124 (2013).
27. F. Ziebert and I. S. Aranson, Effects of adhesion dynamics and substrate compliance on the shape and motility of crawling cells, PLOS ONE 8, e64511 (2013).
26. M. Chowdhury, P. Freyberg, F. Ziebert, A. C.-M. Yang, U. Steiner and G. Reiter, Segmental Relaxations Have Macroscopic Consequences in Glassy Polymer Films, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 136102 (2012).
25. F. Closa, F. Ziebert and E. Raphael, Effects of in-plane elastic stress and normal external stress on viscoelastic thin film stability, Math. Model. Nat. Phenom. 7, 6 (2012).
24. F. Ziebert, S. Swaminathan and I. S. Aranson, Model for self-polarization and motility of keratocyte fragments, J. R. Soc. Interface 9 (70), 1084 (2012).
23. F. Ziebert and D. Lacoste, A Planar Lipid Bilayer in an Electric Field: Membrane Instability, Flow Field, and Electrical Impedance. In Ales Iglic, editor: Advances in Planar Lipid Bilayers and Liposomes, Vol. 14, Burlington: Academic Press, 2011, pp. 63-95.
22. S. Ryan, B. M. Haines, L. Berlyand, F. Ziebert and I. S. Aranson, Viscosity of bacte-rial suspensions: Hydrodynamic interactions and self-induced noise, Phys. Rev. E 83, 050904(R) (2011).
21. F. Closa, F. Ziebert and E. Raphael, Interplay of internal stresses, electric stresses and surface diffusion in polymer films, Phys. Rev. E 83, 051603 (2011).
20. S. Swaminathan, F. Ziebert, I. S. Aranson and D. Karpeev, Motor-mediated microtubule self-organization in dilute and semi-dilute filament solutions, Math. Model. Nat. Phenom. 6, 119 (2011).
19. F. Ziebert and D. Lacoste, A Poisson-Boltzmann approach for a lipid membrane in an electric field, New J. Phys. 12, 095002 (2010).
18. S. Swaminathan, F. Ziebert, I. S. Aranson and D. Karpeev, Patterns and intrinsic fluctuations in semi-dilute motor-filament systems, EPL 90, 28001 (2010).
17. F. Ziebert, M. Z. Bazant and D. Lacoste, Effective zero-thickness model for a conductive membrane driven by an electric field, Phys. Rev. E 81, 031912 (2010).
16. T. Vilmin, F. Ziebert and E. Raphael, Simple view on fingering instability of debonding soft elastic adhesives, Langmuir 26, 3257 (2010).
15. F. Ziebert and E. Raphael, Dewetting of thin polymer films: Influence of interface evolution, EPL 86, 46001 (2009).
14. F. Ziebert, M. Vershinin, S. P. Gross and I. S. Aranson, Collective alignment of polar filaments by molecular motors, Eur. Phys. J. E 28, 401 (2009).
13. S. Swaminathan, F. Ziebert, D. Karpeev and I. S. Aranson, Motor-mediated alignment of microtubules in semi-dilute mixtures, Phys. Rev. E 79, 036207 (2009).
12. F. Ziebert and E. Raphael, Dewetting dynamics of stressed viscoelastic thin polymer films, Phys. Rev. E 79, 031605 (2009).
11. V. Rühle, F. Ziebert, R. Peter and W. Zimmermann, Instabilities in a two-dimensional polar filament-motor system, Eur. Phys. J. E 27, 243 (2008).
10. R. Peter, V. Schaller, F. Ziebert and W. Zimmermann, Pattern formation in active cytoskeletal networks, New J. Phys. 10, 035002 (2008).
9. F. Ziebert and I. S. Aranson, Rheological and structural properties of dilute active filament solutions, Phys. Rev. E 77, 011918 (2008).
8. F. Ziebert, I. S. Aranson and L. S. Tsimring, Effects of crosslinks on filament-motor organization, New J. Phys. 9, 421 (2007).
7. D. Smith, F. Ziebert, D. Humphrey, C. Duggan, M. Steinbeck, W. Zimmermann and J. Käs, Molecular motor-induced instabilities and crosslinkers determine biopolymer organization, Biophys. J. 93, 4445 (2007).
6. H. R. Brand, H. Pleiner and F. Ziebert, Macroscopic dynamics of polar nematic liquid crystals, Phys. Rev. E 74, 021713 (2006).
5. F. Ziebert, M. Hammele and W. Zimmermann, On Cytoskeletal Patterns and Intrinsic Disorder Effects, Nonlinear Phenomena in Complex Systems, 9 (2), 198 (2006).
4. F. Ziebert and W. Zimmermann, Nonlinear competition between asters and stripes in filament-motor-systems, Eur. Phys. J. E 18, 41 (2005).
3. R. Peter, M. Hilt, F. Ziebert, J. Bammert, C. Erlenkämper, N. Lorscheid, C. Weitenberg, A. Winter, M. Hammele and W. Zimmermann, Stripe-hexagon competition in forced pattern forming systems with broken up-down symmetry, Phys. Rev. E 71, 046212 (2005).
2. F. Ziebert and W. Zimmermann, Comment on Instabilities of Isotropic Solutions of Active Polar Filaments, Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 159802 (2004).
1. F. Ziebert and W. Zimmermann, Pattern formation driven by nematic ordering of assembling biopolymers, Phys. Rev. E 70, 022902 (2004).